Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Beads Beads Beads

Yes, it really was May the last time I added anything to my little crafty blog. I have been working, I just haven't been posting anything here.  Recently, I've taken up bead making. I was inspired by a pair of pottery earrings I bought from a street vendor in NYC and here is a bit of the fruits of that inspiration:

These are my little red clay, iron oxided beads, strung on some elastic thread until I can figure out what to do with them.

Most of them will be turned into earrings like these:



This is a photo of the inside of the kiln after my first bead tree firing. (A bead tree, in case you don't know, is a device that allows you to fire beads on high-temperature wire.)
The larger pieces around the bead tree are not mine. Those are mostly student and studio members' pieces and glaze tests.

Two firings yielded a nice bead soup that I've started to play with.

 (I made the plate underneath the beads, too. Unfortunately, the glaze on the plate developed a common firing fault, dozens of tiny pinholes in the surface. But it's fine for using as a bead tray.)

No comments: