Thursday, July 2, 2009

Unhappiness & Dissatisfaction As Inspiration

Creativity Takes Courage

I'm not entirely happy with these earrings that I made.

Latina

Yes, they're mismatched on purpose. I used origami paper beads that I made myself, and glass beads and metal findings that I purchased. My intention was to make big, Latina Chica chandelier earrings. That was what I set out to do.

But I'm not happy with these. They're...missing something. They're just not elaborate enough and they're too visually heavy. So there's that. But here's the thing:

I'm happy to be unhappy with them.

Huh?!

I'm more happy being unhappy with something than I am being happy with something. Does that make sense? When I'm happy with something, that's the end of it, but when I'm unhappy with something, there's opportunity there. I'm not happy with these earrings, so I have the opportunity to go forward and explore ways to make them better, to make them into something that I am happy with. I'm very comfortable, in other words, with being dissatisfied with the process.

So as in art, so as in life.

No comments: