Sunday, July 5, 2009

As Long As You Ever Can

Grandma Josie's Embroidery

I don't know when my Grandma Josie embroidered this pillow. I suspect it was not too many years before she died, when her eyesight was failing but before she had to switch over to "embroidering" with fabric paint because she couldn't see well enough to thread the needles.

Grandma Josie's Embroidery

This is the complete pillow with the ruffled edge that she sewed on.

Here are some details.

Grandma Josie's Embroidery

Red strawberries with purple seeds and pink and purple flowers.

Grandma Josie's Embroidery

Sunflower detail with a filler stitch.

Grandma Josie's Embroidery

Roses, worked in reddish-orange and a pinkish-red.

I wouldn't necessarily say that I come from a crafty family, although my grandmother, mother, and I all do some sort of needlework, with my mother being the most industrious.

No comments: