Thursday, February 11, 2021

Shadow Quilt, Etc.

 My first quilt finish for 2021.

Started in 2017 and put away as a completed quilt top, my first. Lesson learned: I could actually piece an entire quilt top.

Taken out in early 2020 and hacked up. Added black applique figures and quilted each piece. Then put away. Lesson learned: How to do raw-edge applique with fusible medium.

Taken out this month and bound all the pieces and put it together by zig-zag stitching the bindings of each piece. The edges are all different, as in there isn't a straight edge on any of the four sides of the quilt. I like this very much, actually. I don't think quilts need to be squared up. At all. 

It is a twin-sized quilt, as completed thus far. I ran out of the black fabric I was using with three pieces remaining that could be added at a later date. I am waiting for Moda Bella black fabric from Missouri Star Quilt Co. to arrive to finish them. (I ordered 3 yards of the black and one yard of the "very black," a yard of lime and one of shocking pink (I think) from the same Moda Bella line. I also ordered some clip on magnifiers for my glasses, extra machine needles, and a couple of new kinds of thimbles to try, as the adjustable Clover thimbles I ordered from WAWAK don't sit in the right place on the middle finger of my right hand.)

Other pandemic sewing projects completed so far in 2021: 

-Two potholders from orphan blocks and Insulbrite.

-Two unlined crumb quilt curtains in solid colors, one for each front room window in the casita. 

-Two very small placemats from the leftover bits from making the curtains, done with big-stitch hand-quilting. 

 -A coaster for my desk from some very small, ugly half-square triangles. 

-Two masks for Grace's very extra-extra-large friend (7" x 13"). 

-Small talisman made of shell--fabric from Japan, embroidery thread, beads from my collection--and a drawstring rabbit-patterned bag for Kelly's 70th birthday. (She says she keeps her new cell phone in the bag.)

-Two elastic sheet holders to keep the fitted sheets on the upper corners of my bed. 

Next Project: Lime Green Crumb Quilt UFO. 

 Why I stopped working on it: It's too small to be a twin-sized quilt and The Brain couldn't figure out a way to make it bigger that would make sense. So I put away the pieces.

Why I decided to work on it again: I'm going to try this new technique of binding each panel and then sewing the bound panels together.


No comments: