Friday, November 27, 2009

Studio Time

I'm trying new and old things at the studio, doing as much as possible to prime the pump, so to speak. Some of it is good, most of it is not. But the important part is that I made it. I did it. I was working, always working on it.

This is a blurry picture of a fat little robot being with carved features:



This is the detail on a box that I smushed together:



This is a larger-ish view of the same box:



The rate at which work moves is an important one, I think. If you are an artist or a craftsperson, that's what you should be doing is creating art, crafting. If you are just planning or just thinking or just talking about it, then you are not an artist or a craftsperson, you are a planner. You are a thinker. You are a talker. You are not an artist because you are not working on art.

That said, I'm always working. Always. Studio time is very important and for the most part I want not to squander it. If I'm not working, I'm preparing to work or I'm cleaning up after working. Because to me, that is what it means to be an artist.

The hands and the clay relate in ways that only ever let me and The Brain tag along. That's good.

No comments: